Saturday 4 August 2012

Life & Death on the Thames Path

Back in March, the Thames Path was full of mating toads:
.
.
Now, five months later, their eggs have turned to tadpoles and those that have survived have become toadlets - a fully formed toad, but only 1cm long.
In order to avoid predation, they are camouflaged, which does mean walkers have to be careful not tread on them - as they can be very difficult to spot.
.
.
However for those that reach full size, the risks change, but are equally severe - including ending up as a meal for an otter:
.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see ya back - how did the talk go? or did I miss a post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    For some reason I never wrote about the talk - it went surprisingly and the audience was about 50 and I had some good questions as well as filling in the story of one of the otters I saw last year.
    I've also been asked to do a couple more talks next year, so it must have been alright.

    ReplyDelete